Saturday, January 10, 2009

Airing my Dirty Laundry

Loom-related dirty laundry of course!!

Today I cleaned up the cloth and warp beams for my Toika Liisa. They have what appear to be the original apron cloths. I vacuumed the aprons with the upholstery attachment of my vacuum cleaner.


The fact that the aprons are stapled in place makes me reluctant to clean or replace them. (They should be fine as is I think....although they were attached to some rather rusty apron rods.)


The metal rods on the right are still rusty. The rods on the left are after about 10 minutes of sanding with 320 grit sandpaper.

I was dreading sanding the rusty rods....and even looked up the price to buy new ones. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to make them rust-free. There's a lesson somewhere in there for me!


I'm still scouring the internet for info on whether to re-attach the second rod on each beam. The first rod goes into the end of the apron cloth.

The loom came with the second rod lashed to the apron cloths for the length of each beam. And those rods were bent. I think I might be supposed to just lash them for the width of the warp. Or even, to use different width rods for different width warps. Should have taken pics of that to make it a little clearer!!

Inquiring minds want to know!!

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I'm always interested to find the blogs of other Toika owners - there are not many of us blogging at the moment. I found you via your comment on Cally's "t'katch"

Re the second rod for your apron, leave it free until you need to put a warp on the loom. You can find lots of details of how I set up my Toika countermarch on my blog, http://fibre2fabric.blogspot.com which I hope will explain how I use my aprons.

My Toika is much newer, and has slots through the warp beams for tying through an apron of texsolv cord, however, I made cloth aprons to use instead.

Happy weaving in 2009.

Gwen said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my new blog and leaving a comment with helpful suggestions! I'm looking forward to learning to weave and becoming a member of the weaving & blogging community! :)