Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thankful

This week's assignment at Digital Photography School was "Thankful".

Photographing something you are thankful for, if possible with a 50 mm lens.

I didn't have much time for this assignment, but I did take one picture with my lens set to 50mm. I had to back up as far as possible to get my subject to fit.

Then I cropped the image - which makes me wonder if I totally changed the 50 mm qualities of this shot. (Gratitude I understand. I am grateful for so much. 50 mm lenses - I don't get them. Maybe next time!!)


I was winding skeins for dyeing. There's just something about the sight of linen in a swift that is beautiful to me.

I relate to linen....something about how it has a mind of its own. It just wants to do what it wants to do, no matter how much a weaver tries to tame it. Its linen-y nature just shines through.

Some day I'll weave with it. For now, I'll just be thankful.

5 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Yes, the look is wonderful; I have never worked with linen-knitting, weaving or sewing!

Theresa said...

Linen is wonderful to work with. Not so much in rugs but in other things. Hemp is close and less expensive substitute, but still not quite the same.
So, camera class, do they have a week titled "Everything and the Kitchen Sink"? They do come up with some challenging things although Thankful might be pretty easy considering we are all probably looking at the year about to end in total and either thankful for it's gifts or that it's almost over! ;-)

Charlotte said...

Linen certainly is beautiful but I've personally not got the courage to tackle weaving with it yet!

I love that you post your photography class pictures on your blog - it's interesting to see all your assignments week to week.

Benita said...

I love the lines in that picture! The whole composition is very interesting.

Life Looms Large said...

Of course, that's a lot that I'm thankful for...but with limited time for this assignment, linen, my Toika loom, and how that represents creativity for me really felt like a good choice.

Thanks for bearing with me through my photographic assignments!!

Sue