Sunday, February 28, 2010

Checking In

That fierce storm Thursday night knocked out power to lots of folks in NH and Maine.

We were very lucky to be among the first 10% of people to have power restored. Our power came back on just before midnight on Friday night, so we were only without power for 24 hours.

Today is my first day with temporary internet access. (Yay for cafes, libraries and businesses with working internet!! It may be a while before we have access at home again.) I'm excited to find out what's going on in the world....having only had my local paper for info so far. (Although we have radios, there's little to no local coverage on the radio.)

Thanks to google reader's ability to read offline, I've downloaded all of the latest and greatest in blogs I follow. I'm definitely not going to be able to keep up on comments right now. Sorry about that! I don't mean to be an unfriendly blogger!! I always appreciate your comments, ideas and support.

Warp painting

I have been hard at work painting the red, yellow and orange warp for pillow shams and then rinsing all the painted warps.


Last time I dyed, our hot water was about 120 degrees. This time Jim turned up the temperature on our water heater so that the water was 140. (Definitely something to be cautious about whenever you wash your hands or shower.....that's hot!)

The 140 degrees really made a difference in how quickly I was able to get the water to run clear. I followed ProChem's instructions with room temperature rinses, followed by hot synthrapol rinses.

The warps are air-drying now. I will document this project better soon. I see from your comments that I did some unusual things.

13 comments:

Annie MacHale said...

Nice! Someday I want to try painting warps. ~Annie

Theresa said...

I was thinking on you guys. Folks had a tree come down on their shed and from their accounts and the various news it sounded like wicked storm.
Glad everything okay. Warps look GREAT!

Sara said...

That was a wicked bad storm. The wind howling was awful! Neither Killian nor I slept very well that night...

Glad you have power and that you and yours are safe!!!

Leigh said...

Glad to hear you got your power back so quickly. And the warps look great!

Sharon said...

What an unpleasant storm, and lucky for you to have a generator. We have one too, but not until we went through some ugly days without power. Melting snow to flush to toilet is now behind us - phew. I look forward to seeing the next chapter in your warps - you've got quite a fe upcoming projects it appears.

Delighted Hands said...

The warps look great. Sorry for the power outage....looks like winter is still making its mark on the EastCoast

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

I glad your alright and the storm only took out the power. The red painted warp really stands out in the photo, very vibrant can't wait to see what you will make with these. Take care, stay warm.

Annie said...

'only without power for 24 hours' is what you wrote - it sounds very long to me! Glad everything is ok again.
Your warps look exciting and beautiful.
'Another Annie'

Julie said...

Wow I'm loving that red! Don't burn yourself that sounds pretty hot!

Stay warm!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That red is so rich-looking. I bet it's going to be beautiful. Sorry to hear you were without power. I wouldn't cope very well without it -- my hair needs blow-drying daily otherwise, I look a fright!

Anonymous said...

the quiet when the power is out is so peaceful, but it is nice to get back to "normal"! You certainly managed fine and I am looking forward to seeing the warps on the loom.

OzWeaver said...

Those warps are looking good! Can't wait to see them on the loom!
Brenda

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.