My original blogging plan was a beginning, middle and end post for each project. I'm realizing that I have a beginning and an end, as planned.
I also seem to have a post at every point where I get stuck on a project. Sometimes that's a lot of middle!
Here's the first sticking point for this project.
After choosing colors to coordinate with our bathroom, I started browsing handweaving.net for drafts. My plan is to stick with 4 shafts on my Toika for this project.
I searched through everything on handweaving.net, narrowing my choices down to three.
The yarn is an assortment of cotton, mostly 8/2 and 10/2 from lots of different sources. I want to use a light colored warp and weave each towel with a different weft. Using that method, I shouldn't have problems with different yarns shrinking at different rates. At least that's the theory, backed up by helpful advice from Sandra Rude.
The different wefts might have different shrink rates, so the towels may end up different sizes. I'm OK with that.
I love this pale blue-gray. It would make a great warp for this project.
I determined the sett, and used my McMorran yarn balance to calculate how much yarn I had.
- I only have enough warp yarn for 2 towels...I don't like to warp the loom for such a small number of towels.
- Because the sett is tighter than I imagined, the patterns I've chosen from handweaving.net will be very small - maybe 1 cm in width.
I ordered some cotton-linen from WEBS. I didn't have color samples, so I ordered a gray that looked like my blue-gray from stash. As a back up I ordered white.
Since I was ordering, I also scooped up two cones of merino-tencel. I'm not done playing with shadow weave yet. I thought this might make a nice scarf with one of the designs I've developed.
I headed back to handweaving.net to look for wider drafts so the patterns would show up better from far away.